Elections for Municipal and School board Trustees are held every four years and the next municipal election is taking place on October 24, 2022. The term of office is four years. Wellington North has a Ward system with one elected official for each Ward and a Mayor who is elected at large. The Mayor also sits as a member of the County of Wellington County Council. Additionally two members are elected in Wellington North to sit as member of the County of Wellington County Council. Voter’s also cast votes for school board trustees.
On February 8, 2021, Council approved a report on alternative voting methods and systems. The following voting methods will be used for the 2022 election:
- Vote by mail
- Ballots to be counted using tabulators
- Vote from home service pilot
The nomination period for the 2022 election begins May 2 and ends August 19, 2022. Individuals wishing to register as candidates in the 2022 municipal election must ensure their nomination papers are filed within this time frame. Candidates may not begin their campaign (spending or raising money) until papers are filed with the Clerk.
If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property or the spouse or same sex partner of an owner or tenant in the Township of Wellington North, a Canadian citizen and 18 years of age you can vote. Students attending school may vote in the location where they are attending school as well as their “home” municipality.
Your name must be on the voter’s list in order to vote. To confirm if you are on the voters’ list and your information is accurate, please visit voterlookup.ca
- May 2, 2022: First day candidates can file nomination papers and first day third party advertisers can register.
- August 19, 2022: Last day candidates can file nomination papers, between 9:00am and 2:00 pm.
- October 21, 2022: Last day third party advertisers can register.
- October 24, 2022: Election Day
- October 25, 2022: Official election results declared
- November 15, 2022: New term of Council commences